Circus – Secondary Studies
he secondary studies program is based on the student’s physical, artistic, and technical development. Its goal is to enable the learning of fundamental abilities in basic disciplines of circus arts.
- Developing and consolidating the physical abilities and qualities that will allow for a better choice of a personal circus discipline.
- Developing an artistic sense and learning how to use ones body as a means of expression and communication.
- Learning how to work with different trainers and developing openness.
- Developing autonomy, self-awareness, self-respect and respect of others as well as the capacity to work in a group.
- To invest in one’s development.
Who is it for?
Students registered in the Art-études program at the secondary or high school level.
- Monday to Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for secondary levels 1,2, and 3
- Monday to Friday 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. for secondary levels 4 and 5.
1 to 5 years, 35 weeks per year.
Students from secondaries 1,2,3 get general circus training: floor acrobatics, trampoline, handstands and juggling. They will also have a choice of a personal discipline.
Those students from levels 4 and 5 will work on the disciplines of their choice.
On a weekly basis, high school levels 1 to 3 will follow courses to perfect movement and the high school levels 4 and 5 will follow dance and theatrical courses.
Periodically, various workshops are offered during the school calendar. These workshops come in all forms. They are as much theoretical as hands on, and can also include research and creation sessions as well.
- Public presentations
Once a year in the month of December. Seconadary 1, 2, and 3 : by discipline and in a group. Secondary 4 and 5 : to their discretion.
- Annual show
Presentation of a show with art direction, staging, artistic consultation, costumes, music, and décors.
On the following elements:
- Physical preparedness;
- Attitude (openness, consistency, effort);
- Circus techniques;
- Artistic sensitivity.
All year long, students benefit from opportunities offered by the school. Amoung these opportunities are show privileges, exchange opportunities, and special events to help further their skills.
École de cirque de Québec annually rewards students that best encompass the six values of the establishment: Creativity, openness, respect, autonomy, enthusiasm, and drive.
- Auditions are held on October 22rd for secondaries 1 to 3 and on February, 27th and March 10th, 2017 for secondaries 4 and 5.
- Audition standards : Physical conditioning, flexibility, circus techniques, presentation of a number and dance.
- Initially, candidates must communicate with the registrar to establish their eligibility and to receive a registration form.
- Deadlines for the 2017 year auditions will be February, 13th.
- Registration fees : $75 (secondary 1 to 3) and $85 (secondary 4 and 5).
- Information and registration can be acquired via email at email@example.com